Santa Barbara Youth Symphony
The Santa Barbara Youth Symphony auditions are on August 17-18, 2018. Learn more about the requirements.
Heralded as “…a prestigious group of young, talented musicians…” by Santa Barbara Seasons magazine, the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony brings together 70-80 gifted musicians, ages 12-18, from Santa Barbara and Ventura counties to perform works across the orchestral repertoire. Under the baton of Andy Radford, this advanced ensemble instills the discipline and commitment that budding young professionals need for the next step in their careers, whether in music or another field.
Top-performing musicians in the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony have the opportunity to play with the Youth Symphony’s Chamber Ensemble.
- 2018-2019 Policies & Rules (English and Spanish)
- 2018-2019 Application Form (English and Spanish)
- Like the Youth Symphony on Facebook
- Follow the Youth Symphony on Twitter
- Matinee: Saturday, November 24, 2018, 1 pm; FREE (pre-concert activities at noon).
- Sunday, March 10, 2019, 4 pm
- Saturday, April 6, 2019, 3 pm - Music Education Center Community Concert
- Sunday, May 19, 2019, 4 pm
Tuition fees cover the cost for the 2018-19 season. Scholarships are available and information regarding these can be found on the application form. Admitted musicians will not be turned away due to finances. If tuition is a challenge, please reach out.
- Friday, August 17, 2018, 1:30pm-7pm Violins
- Saturday, August 18, 2018, 1:30pm-5:30pm Violas, Cellos, Basses
- Saturday, August 18, 2018, 6pm-9pm Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion
Santa Barbara Community Church
1002 Cieneguitas Rd
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Musicians auditioning for the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony should have significant experience on their instrument. Students with less experience please consider our Junior Ensembles.
- Fill out the application form (available in English and Spanish)
- Download and prepare audition excerpts from the repertoire
- Solo piece which best demonstrates both technical and musical skills on the instrument (No accompanist needed)
- Sight-reading will also be included in the audition
- Violinists, violists, and cellists who are auditioning for the first time please also prepare one three-octave scale of your choosing
Note: Youth Symphony auditions also serve as an audition for the Chamber Ensemble, which is an invite-only group. Musicians may decline the invitation to play in the group and still play with the Youth Symphony.
Music Director, Santa Barbara Youth Symphony
Andy Radford is the principal bassoonist with the Santa Barbara Symphony and has performed with many California ensembles including the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Pasadena Symphony and Santa Barbara Chamber Orchestra. He is professor of bassoon at UCSB and with his wife, Amy Hagen, is founder and music director of the Ojai Youth Symphony. Mr. Radford enjoys performing the full range of musical genres, appearing at the Monterey Jazz Festival and in concert with The Who, Moody Blues, Josh Groban and others. He has played in more than 700 performances of Phantom of the Opera and in productions of Carousel, Miss Saigon, Beauty and the Beast and La Bohème. Also an active studio musician, Mr. Radford has performed on more than 200 film scores, including Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, George of the Jungle, The Family Stone, and Bambi 2.
For more information, contact
Education Programs Manager