Santa Barbara Youth Symphony
The Santa Barbara Youth Symphony auditions are on August 17-18, 2018. Learn more about the requirements.
Heralded as “…a prestigious group of young, talented musicians…” by Santa Barbara Seasons magazine, the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony brings together 70-80 gifted musicians, ages 12-18, from Santa Barbara and Ventura counties to perform works across the orchestral repertoire. Under the baton of Andy Radford, this advanced ensemble instills the discipline and commitment that budding young professionals need for the next step in their careers, whether in music or another field.
Top-performing musicians in the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony have the opportunity to play with the Youth Symphony’s Chamber Ensemble.
- 2018-2019 Policies & Rules (English and Spanish)
- 2018-2019 Application Form (English and Spanish)
- Like the Youth Symphony on Facebook
- Follow the Youth Symphony on Twitter
- Matinee: Saturday, November 24, 2018, 1 pm; FREE (pre-concert activities at noon).
- Sunday, March 10, 2019, 4 pm
- Saturday, April 6, 2019, 3 pm - Music Education Center Community Concert
- Sunday, May 19, 2019, 4 pm
Tuition fees cover the cost for the 2018-19 season. Scholarships are available and information regarding these can be found on the application form. Admitted musicians will not be turned away due to finances. If tuition is a challenge, please reach out.
- Friday, August 17, 2018, 1:30pm-7pm Violins
- Saturday, August 18, 2018, 1:30pm-5:30pm Violas, Cellos, Basses
- Saturday, August 18, 2018, 6pm-9pm Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion
Santa Barbara Community Church
1002 Cieneguitas Rd
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Musicians auditioning for the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony should have significant experience on their instrument. Students with less experience please consider our Junior Ensembles.
- Fill out the application form (available in English and Spanish)
- Download and prepare audition excerpts from the repertoire
- Solo piece which best demonstrates both technical and musical skills on the instrument (No accompanist needed)
- Sight-reading will also be included in the audition
- Violinists, violists, and cellists who are auditioning for the first time please also prepare one three-octave scale of your choosing
Note: Youth Symphony auditions also serve as an audition for the Chamber Ensemble, which is an invite-only group. Musicians may decline the invitation to play in the group and still play with the Youth Symphony.
Music Director, Santa Barbara Youth Symphony
Andy Radford, is the Principal Bassoonist of the Santa Barbara Symphony and of the California Philharmonic, where he also serves as Cover Conductor. Active in the recording industry, Radford has played in over 250 Motion Picture soundtracks including films such as; Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, The Incredibles, Jurassic World, Up!, Zootopia, Inside Out and several Star Trek films. A free-lance musician for many years in the Los Angeles area, Andy lives in Santa Barbara and splits his working hours between bassoon performance and music education. Radford is the Intern Coordinator for the Ojai Music Festival and is the Producer of the Festival’s audience education events. Andy has served as Music Director of the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony since 2004, and is very involved with the Music Education Programs of the Santa Barbara Symphony. Previously, he was Co-Music Director of the Ojai Youth Symphony for 15 years, an organization for which he was also a co-founder. He serves on the faculty of the UCSB and Westmont College Music Departments.
For more information, contact
Education Programs Manager